There is nothing better to keep fit and stay healthy for home exercisers than a treadmill. This versatile machine helps you perform workouts from basic to complex without the need for a trainer. You can exercise whenever you like to strengthen your physical fitness.
However, after using for a certain period, home runners struggle with the most common issue: treadmill belt slipping or skipping. Don’t worry. You can refer to the following article because we will mention potential causes and recommend some practical troubleshoot methods.
Table of Contents
- Why Is The Treadmill Belt Slipping Or Skipping?
- How To Fix Treadmill Belt Slipping/ Skipping?
- In A Nutshell
Why Is The Treadmill Belt Slipping Or Skipping?
Slipping or skipping belts is one of the most common issues occurring in most treadmills after using them for a while. Before fixing this problem, the first important step is to find out possible root causes.
After researching and synthesizing, we have found out six primary reasons. Let’s take a closer look at them!
It Lacks Lubrication
The leading cause for such problems may stem from a lack of proper lubrication. For the treadmills to work smoothly, the belts must be running over from the deck to the roller series. When in use, all parts cooperate and generate friction.
The friction between that part, the deck, and the roller series should be reduced if your machine wants to operate in good condition. That’s why missing lubrication makes it slip or skip and causes you to fall.
The Pulley On Front Roller May Lose Grip
The pulley on the front roller of the equipment is a driving system. It is an indispensable part to accommodate the pressure on the belts. Thus, when it is out of alignment, signs of slippage happen.
The Walking Belt May Be Loose
Another cause may be a loose installation. After constant use, the surface gets stretched out and can’t work effectively and smoothly. In this bad situation, you need to increase its tension to fix misalignment.
The Drive Belt May Be Loose
This part is the connector between the front roller and the motor. The motor still operates if it becomes too loose, but the belt certainly slips to one side or stops running. More badly, the pulley and roller may not work, which is the sign of a worn one.
It Can’t Bear Mass Weight
Bodyweight is also a factor affecting its longevity. Specifically, a heavyweight person will create more intense pressure than a lightweight exerciser.
If overweight or obese runner continuously uses the device, it will quickly become misaligned and worn out after each workout.
It Is Worn Out
Nothing can stay new forever. Any product would be worn out after thousands of feet pounding and numerous workouts. The lack of regular cleaning and maintenance will also cause dust to accumulate and debilitate this essential part. This problem is even worse when you purchase a second-hand machine.
How To Fix Treadmill Belt Slipping/ Skipping?
After figuring out the main causes, it’s time to fix the problem. Here are three practical and effective ways to make the belts work as normal. Let’s take a peek!
1. Apply lubricant
Before applying lubricant, it’s better to check if it needs smearing with oil or not. Slide your hand below the belt and surround your fingers onward to the bed of the treadmill. A good one should create slippery touching for fingers.
If there is no sign of oil, it needs more lubricant. The task is not difficult, but you need to perform the following steps sequentially below:
- Make sure to power off and unplug the machine from the power source.
- Use a screwdriver or bare hands to uplift the sides of the belt.
- Find out the suitable lube oil for your device as not all types fit. Can you use white lithium grease on the treadmill? Yes, it’s acceptable!
- Apply the lubricant.
- You can spray or squirt from the center of the treadmill deck to the outside.
- Repeat the same lubrication to the other side. Make sure to cover all widths with lube oil.
- Lift it and check all the screws as well. If they are loosened, you need to tighten them.
- Plugin the power and start the machine.
2. Center The Belt
If it still slips one side while running, you should center it. Here is how to improve the one that is off-centered:
- Plugin the device into the power source and start it.
- Make sure no one is on the machine.
- Normally, there is a speed-up button in most types of treadmills. Press it, and the belt will run at three mph.
- Notice whether it is turned to the left or the right side of the treadmill deck.
- If it misaligns from the right side to the left side, you must adjust the right bolt. If it slips from the left side to the right side, you need to fix the left bolt.
- Let the machine run in some minutes to ensure it is centered properly.
- If it still doesn’t work, repeat the above steps.
3. Modify The Tension
If the above methods don’t work effectively for your machine, try out this troubleshoot. Follow these steps to adjust its tension:
- Turn off and unplug the machine.
- Turn the tension bolt on the left side clockwise. Do the same changes to the rest side.
- Make sure not to squeeze the bolts too tight, which can strain on the treadmill motor.
- Turn on the machine and start jogging on it to recheck the slippage.
- If it continues slipping or skipping, turn a half-turn clockwise on both tension bolts.
- Plugin the power and start the device.
In A Nutshell
All things wear out after a certain period of use, and the treadmill is no exception. Belt slippage is the most common issue in this home cardio machine. We have already listed possible causes so that you can understand the problem better.
Most importantly, we have recommended helpful and practical techniques to avoid the treadmill belt slipping or skipping while running. If you can’t do it yourself, it’s better to get an expert for sure.
Good day, readers! My name is Jason Gwinn, a 35 years old man who specializes in physical fitness. With 15 years of experience being a personal trainer, I will help you conquer the fitness challenges. Besides guiding you through my unique workouts, I can also help you choose the best fitness equipment to assist you in achieving your goals and exercise regimen.